This Old Fashioned Lunch Lady Brownies Recipe is a tried and true, favorite dessert! No one can resist the rich, fudgy brownies and crackly, cooked icing!
Surely you are aware of my love for brownies by now, but just in case you are new to Back for Seconds, allow me to share with you a very important piece of information: I LOVE brownies! I love making them, I love eating them, I love coming up with recipes for new variations of them!
A few of our favorites, just to get you started, are these Salted Caramel Turtle Brownies (for all of my fellow salty and sweet lovers!), No Bake Reese’s Pieces Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownies, and these Fudgy White Chocolate Brownies.
None of these last more than a hot minute in our house!
Let’s talk about these Old Fashioned Lunch Lady Brownies for a second. Are you familiar with lunch lady brownies?
This type of brownie was made popular in school cafeterias years ago. If you were lucky, a lunch lady has served you one of these brownies at some point in your school career.
If not, let me break them down for you.
They start off with a rich, fudgy, chewy homemade brownie. These are 100% amazing all on their own, but every once in awhile, a brownie with frosting is necessary!
This is no ordinary frosting. This is a cooked icing that almost tastes like fudge! When warm, it is gooey and delightful, and darn hard to resist atop a fresh from the oven brownie!
When the brownie icing cools, it forms a shell that crackles on the top and remains irresistibly fudgy underneath.
Either way, I promise, you can’t go wrong!
Pro Tips and Questions you may have about making this Old Fashioned Lunch Lady Brownies Recipe:
- Make sure to use unsweetened cocoa powder when making homemade brownies. You can even use dark chocolate cocoa powder for a deeper, richer chocolate brownie, or a mix of the regular and dark!
- Should I use a stand mixer when making homemade brownies? It’s actually better just to use a bowl and a spoon. Using a mixer can cause you to overtax the batter, which will result in a tough brownie.
- Can these Old Fashioned Lunch Lady Brownies be made in advance? Yes! Make them the day before serving, to save some time. The cooked brownie frosting will have a nice crackle by then!
- Can these brownies be frozen? The brownies themselves freeze beautifully, however, I would freeze them prior to frosting them. Add the icing after the brownies are thawed.
Products used to make this Old Fashioned Lunch Lady Brownies Recipe:
**COME JOIN MY EXCLUSIVE NEW FACEBOOK GROUP WHERE WE CAN CHAT AND SHARE RECIPES AND TIPS WITH EACH OTHER! **
More Homemade Brownie Recipes You May Enjoy:
- These Milky Way Cheesecake Brownies combine the perfect fudgy brownie with smooth, creamy cheesecake, and gooey milky way candy bars. An impressive dessert that’s easy to make!
- 21 Brownies that Will Blow Your Mind!
- These homemade Oreo Reese’s Fudge Brownies are thick, rich, and fudgy – just the way a brownie should be! These make an easy Halloween dessert, too!
- Unforgettable Brownie Recipes You HAVE to Try!
- Learn How to Make Brownies in the Crock Pot – you won’t believe how incredible these are! Chewy and fudgy with swirls of peanut butter and chocolate chips!